Supporting Artists in the New Year

Since the pandemic began to rage here in the U.S., we've repeatedly heard doomsday predictions of the arts world collapsing. I don't mean to sound cynical; the lack of gigs right now across all arts communities is daunting, and even what were once considered stable fields like public school teaching and academia are shrinking. 

Like everyone, I've spent a lot of extra time online since March, and it has allowed me to discover some amazing composers and performers I never knew existed, all working in solitude, obscurity, and I assume, some level of poverty, from their tiny corners of the country. I'm including some of their names and websites here, and invite you to add to this list in the comments section of this blog or whatever social media platform you're reading this on. 

So my advice in 2021 is to get out of your bubbles, discover new inspirations, and most importantly, spend your money! For every artist you've streamed on Spotify more than five times this year, you can certainly find something of theirs on Bandcamp to purchase. If visual art, theater, or dance are more your thing, find your platforms and do the same. It feels good to give, and it's absolutely invigorating to hear (or see, or read) the amazing new works being created all around you. 

Years ago, a colleague once gave me the advice not to purchase tickets for other colleagues' events, because the general public should be doing that; she felt put-upon, I guess, to "have" to support her colleagues as a fellow musician. But I can think of no better way to spend my money, especially now that I'm saving so much on gas for my now inert car. 

(Feel like digging deeper after some listening? Check out my guide to commissioning here.)


Here's to a better year!


Andrew Austin (my favorite is Toy Soldiers): www.andrewhaileaustin.com

Yvonne Freckman: https://yvonnefreckmann.com/

Brittany Green: www.brittanyjgreen.com

Yunfei Li: https://www.yunfeilimusic.com/

Zachery Meier: zacherymeiermusic.com

Daniel Sabzghabaei: https://danielsabzghabaei.com

Yoshi Weinberg: www.yoshiweinberg.com



Comments