A graded list of flute etude books available on Petrucci: middle and high school levels

I have long referred my students to Petrucci (imslp.org) when searching for older standard repertoire, but I don't always take the time myself to see what's there. Imagine my delight when I found LOADS of etude books we can download for free!  Some of my colleagues are of a different mind than I am regarding etudes, but here's what I think our students get from them:

1. Practice learning new music quickly
2. Therefore, lots more reading practice (goal=master one per week)
3. Obviously, technical practice
4. Musical practice, as not all etudes are inherently interesting!

But the more music you buy, the more it adds up.  I prefer to send my students directly to the living composers from whom they wish to purchase contemporary music (whenever possible), and download the old stuff that isn't copyright protected. Of course, always check for accuracy, edition, etc. when searching on Petrucci, but I think etude books are a great thing to grab, as we are rarely so picky with the edition of these books.

Here are some of my favorites on Petrucci right now, with links (part two, college level, is coming soon):

Etudes - Middle School
Gariboldi Op. 132
Kohler progressive duets op. 55
Kohler Op. 93

Etudes - High School
Berbiguer 18 Exercises
Boehm Op. 37
Demersseman Op. 4
Donjon 8 Etudes de Salon
Drouet Method, Part 4 (Studies)
Gariboldi 15 Etudes Modernes
Hugot Op. 13
Hugues Op. 32
Kohler Op. 33
Kohler Op. 66 (Romantic etudes)
Kohler expressive etudes, op. 89
Kummer Op. 110
Kummer Op. 129
Terschak Op. 71

(Also available on Petrucci: Andersens Op. 15, 21, 30, 33, 37, 41, 60, 63)

Comments