Where I'll be this year at NFA...

Thanks to record-early communication from the NFA convention chair, the flute community is all talking about what and when they'll be performing at the annual convention this summer.  I am particularly excited about the opportunities I'll have to share ideas and a great new piece for flute and piano, and the fact that it's actually within driving distance for us in the Colorado/Wyoming region makes it that much sweeter!  I hope to see many colleagues and students from the Rocky Mountains at this year's NFA convention in Salt Lake City!

I am thrilled to be performing a fantastic piece, four pieces for flute and piano, by Philadelphia composer Joseph Hallman on Thursday, August 1 at 10:30am. Each movement is dedicated to a different composer: Jolivet, Muhly, Lynch, and Poulenc. Joe does an amazing job of getting inside each composer's style and sound profile while still sounding like himself. I was introduced to this piece through the Flute New Music Consortium 2018 composition competition; it won first place in the flute and accompaniment category. You can hear a sample of it performed by Fluter Scooter here, and come here me play and talk about it in August!


On Friday, August 2 at 1pm, I am moderating a panel discussion called "Using Social Media to Grow Your Studio". It will feature some flutists who are doing really creative things I admire with their studios:




And of course, I'm excited to see what my sponsor company, Altus Handmade Flutes, has in store for us at this year's showcase.

I'll also be giving sample lessons to students considering applying to University of Wyoming, and a UW student/alum dinner is in the works, so I encourage any Cowboys and prospective Cowboys to be in touch, as well.

See you all in Salt Lake City!

Image result for salt lake city

Comments